Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Midnight Chance Reflection

It's 12:02 AM right now as I lay in bed and recall how amazing this very day was two years ago. I've got Pandora playing some Joshua Radin right now, making this already beautiful moment even more meaningful. Our lives were forever changed that day I held Chance in my arms.

My boy. Mine.

The love for him that filled the room was obvious. He was so very loved. In fact, he was loved from the very second that we knew it was him. Eugene and I left the ultrasound appointment with huge smiles and wide eyes in disbelief that we were having a boy. A boy? Really? I kept asking the tech over and over, are you sure? How sure?


My family was patiently waiting at home to share in our news and so we decided to let 600 calories of chewy chocolate goodness tell our secret for us......



I'm quite confident that Chance heard all the hootin' and hollerin' in utero and knew at that moment he was about to join the world's coolest family.

But secretly I was worried about having a boy.

Because all I knew was how to mother girls. I rock at mothering girls. We were our own little clique, Bella, Mia and I. We'd dance, and we'd sing, and we'd have tea parties and paint our nails (little did I know then that I'd be doing every one of those things with my son a year later. Yes, I've painted his nails.) 

As I'd rub my belly and feel him kicking, I'd wonder how do other moms mother boys? 
Is it really different? 

And on that day July 16, 2010, I got my answer:

You trust your instincts that's how.  



And my instincts knew that this boy was going to change me. I knew when I held him that he was going to show me a love that I've never seen before, that I never knew I was capable of. 



I felt an overwhelming sense that this little boy was going to make me a better mother.

I was right.

I can't wait to celebrate your 2nd birthday Chance. Tomorrow we'll have pancakes and ice cream and ALL DAY LONG I will let you know how happy you've made our family.







3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I felt the same way when I found out I was having a boy. Excited but secretly scared. Now I understand the mother-son bond I have always heard about. It's a beautiful thing.

    I always think our kiddos birthdays are just as meaningful for us mamas, so happy birthday to your sweet boy and enjoy those pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally adorable. I love the sex-reveal cake-- if we have another baby, I am totally stealing it. Gotta keep it lighthearted b/c if we have #4, the naked longing for a girl from my parents is going to overwhelming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry, Gina. I'll never forget meeting almost 2 week old Chance.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails