Sunday, January 31, 2010

Little Girls



is the only song that Bella dislikes from the Annie Soundtrack. The only one. I mean literally the music can be heard at the breakfast table, in the car and sometimes even in the bathtub. All. Day. Long. Here's a clip from yesterday morning. Yes, indeed, this is how I start my day.



I love how Mia chimed in for a big finish.

So of course, when I saw that Annie was coming to town we had to make a girls night of it. My mom, my sister, Bella and I got all dressed up and headed into the city to the "fee-a-tah." Bella was fired up with excitement.



She was a trooper throughout 95% of the show. During every song that she didn't know (which got cut from the movie) she'd roll her eyes. She even blurted "I'm d-o-n-e" at one point during a seriously boring ballad sung by Daddy Warbucks. It's no reason it got cut from the movie--even I took a nap through it.

But for every other song that she could sing along to, she did. Loudly.



Bella loved the show, as we knew she would. Although, she STILL will not stop telling everyone and me (three times a day) that Punjab (Daddy Warbuck's bodyguard in the movie) was not in the show. She can't seem to understand where he went. She keeps making up hypothetical excuses for poor little Punjab. And all I can do is laugh and play along. I think at this point in time Punjab needed to get gas for his car which is why he didn't make it to the show.

The Annie excitement has not worn off like I thought it would. Bella wants to sleep, eat and of course dance in her beloved Annie dress. She's even bestowed her old tap shoes to Mia who now says "Annie" crystal clear and points to the computer to tell us that's what she wants to hear.



In terms of musicals, I guess it could have been worse, she could have fallen madly in love with the musical adaptation of Stephen King's Carrie. Yes, you read that right, Carrie. After a loss of $8 million and only 21 performances (16 of which were previews, insert laughter) the show was enthusiastically cancelled in London, never seeing the light of day in New York.



I bet it was bloody brilliant!

6 comments:

  1. Wasn't Carrie the biggest flop in B'way history? Or was that the musical "Big"? (Which I saw on b'way. It deserved to flop!!)

    Have you guys seen the new Disney version of the movie with Kathy Bates, Audra McDonald, Alan Cumming, Kristen Chenoweth and Victor Garber? It's really, really good! When we directed Annie we watched it a few times and fell in love with it ourselves!! :)

    Glad you guys had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT'S a girls' night out!

    I was in a community production of Annie in high school. All the little orphan girls were likewise mystified about Punjab's absence. Haha. Can't remember the Daddy Warbucks ballad, though I still have nightmares about Hooverville.

    Favorite memory? This theatre was so low-budget they couldn't afford a ventriloquist doll for Bert Healy. We used a live boy in dummy makeup. Super-creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! Anytime we try to sing in our house, Sutton yells at us "NO! NO!" As Dave puts it, we don't have the best singing voices.
    Love that your girls are developing a love for theater. Got to start that early!
    Thanks for the comments on my blog. I'm hoping to get more followers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! Bella is so darn cute!

    Jack says iPod when he wants to hear music, but he is pretty cool with whatever comes out of the speakers-- the kid loves to dance.

    Are your girls coming to AWW?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable Gina! I bet Bella is going to be a star when she grows up.

    Misty, I was also in Annie. At 13 I scored the role of Grace, Daddy Warbucks hot lady friend. My good friend, who was very tiny for our age, played Annie and was incredible. I used to have the video somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney- yes Carrie is the biggest flop, although I would've loved to see Big!
    Misty- Hah! Hooverville was another sleeper at the show!
    Cory- I actually thought that Dave had a good voice? Am I thinking of someone else?
    Sarah- add iPod to the list! That's classic!
    Jamie- You were Grace?! What an awesome role! I'd love to see some of the videos from my past productions....what a hoot it would be.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails